Next weekend I am planning on going down to Conneticut and entering the Hoot Owl 100 turkey run. This is not a race but is a non-competitive trail ride that follows a lot of the same trails they use for enduro races. It is 100+ miles of 40% back roads and 60% trails. This will be probably the most trail riding I have ever done in a single day so should be a good workout for me. So, I decided to finally do some overdue maintenance and upgrades on the DRZ.
After my trail ride a couple weeks ago I decided that I really needed to lower the gearing. The bike came with a 15 tooth front and 44 tooth rear sprocket. I am switching it to a 13/47 which should give me much better slow speed control on the technical trails. It will reduce the top end speed but that isn’t much of a concern right now. Also I have never really dug into the bike to really check things over like you really should always do on a used bike.
I quickly had the bike stripped down so I could access everything.
When I pulled the front sprocket I was a little shocked to see the condition.
Notice how not only are most of the teeth really worn but 3 of the teeth are essentially gone! The bike is long overdue for this to be replaced even if I wasn’t changing the gearing. So the bike will have this replaced as well as the rear sprocket and of course a new chain.
Also I added some radiator guards:
I also replaced the throttle cable which had been sticking a bit and unmounted the old tires and cleaned up the wheels a bit and installed a fresh spark plug. That was all I got done on Sunday but I have a few things left on the list to do:
- wire up a cigarette lighter plug to power my GPS
- install rim locks in the wheels
- new tires
- replace the clutch+brake levers
- new front brake pads
- cut the new chain to length and install it
Hopefully that should about do it and I should be all set for next weekend.